Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lentin Lunch

Small towns and small churches have great traditions that make them unique. Mason City has a series of Lentin Lunches at the local legion hall that consist of soup/sandwich and a short devotional time for the community. Adam, Grace, and I joined Mom and Dad for one today. I really enjoyed seeing old friends and singing traditional hymns...I even got to talk to Irma Schusele who babysat for the boys when Adam was 3 and the twins were 2.

Gracie wanted to play with Grandma and Grandpa who she calls "Grandpa Grandpa" sometimes and kept choosing different people to chase her around the playground equipment in the park. It was a hoot watching Adam twisting around to fit down the twisty slide. Grace isn't quite big enough to ride the John Deere tricycle, but it won't be long. Grandpa really tried to get the seat low enough that she could reach the pedals. She also was fascinated by the construction going on in Grandma and Grandpa's bathroom and couldn't figure out what happened to the missing bathtub.  "All gone bathtub!"

Grandma Wharram was especially alert today. She doesn't usually remember my name now and and she asks me repeatedly where I live and what I do, but she held my hand, told us someone had said she was nearly 100 (which is true), and smiled and chatted the entire time we were there. She loved watching "the little girl" push her walker around the lounge area, and she pulled Grace up onto her lap for a while. Grace knows her as Grandma Wharram, recognized her right away and was happy to hug and love on her. She asked Adam about his job and seemed to recognize him as family, too. When Grandma is having a good day, she tells me the same thing when I get ready to leave, "You know, you have always have a special place in my heart. I love you." Even though I know she doesn't really remember how I am related or why she loves me, I can tell she really means it and that is enough. I feel blessed to have heard those words today. She stood at the windows of the nursing home and waved at us as we drove away. I really miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment