Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Shower--No Bath

Today we were honored with a shower at Mt. Zion Intermediate and we visited my students, too. Grace was all dressed up and excited  to go to "Mommy's school." We took candy for Grace to give to the children, so she walked around asking each child, "Hungry?" before she would give them a valentine package of Sweet Tarts. Two of my students had made drawings for me and two others made a bead necklace and bracelet for Grace. The students seemed so big to me. I don't know whether they have grown or I have gotten used to tiny little Gracie, though.

I was hoping to get a chance to talk to some of the teachers since I am really missing adult conversation (not that Mark and Adam aren't adults), but I spend most of my days clapping when Grace potties all by herself and talking about colors, animals, and play-doh. Even though we were only at school for about an hour and a half, it felt great to see everyone. I think I'll be ready to go back to school in August. They are all gearing up for ISAT testing, though, and truthfully I don't miss that stressful time at all.

Grace and I were overwhelmed with books, stuffed animals, children's song tapes and CD's , activities, and sweet notes to add to Grace's scrapbook. The cake was so cute, and there were so many gifts that she got tired of opening them! She has a great little library now. I don't think she will want to go to the public library for a while, since we have plenty of new and exciting reading material to keep us busy.

It seemed a little strange to be guests at a shower, but we really enjoyed ourselves. Although all teachers will tell you that teaching is harder than they imagined it would be, today reminded me of how blessed I am to have a job that I often enjoy; working with people who I like and respect. Yes, teaching has its difficult days (and sometimes years) but some of the most amazing people I know I met in the Mt. Zion School District. I am thankful for every one of them.

When we got home, I was telling Mark about the shower and unloading the presents from the van when Grace said, "Gracie and Mommy shower...No bath!" No wonder English is such a hard language to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment