Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

What do you get for someone who doesn't care about clothes, doesn't wear jewelry, has more tools and gadgets than anyone could possibly use, and buys the few things that he ever wants for himself. That was this year's Father's Day challenge. I finally decided on having Gracie make her own card, complete with a cut-out of her with her arms thrown wide saying, "I love you this much..." and a plaque that has Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen," the verse that we clung to during our long adoption journey. Gracie was so excited to give him his card and present that she tried to unwrap it for him. Can you tell how much she loves her Daddy?

We headed to Bloomington, to Cracker Barrel, for lunch with Jill and Roger's family and Mom and Dad. Grace latched onto Paige, and Mark beat everyone at checkers...

I know that Father's Day can be bittersweet for Mark who really misses his parents. Today, as my dad was making Mark feel like a son and not a son-in-law, I'm sure Mark was missing his father. I never met Mark's dad, but his mom told me once that he was a lot like Mark. I'm sure that I would have loved him, and I know that Grace's namesake, Janette, would have loved Gracie, too. She poured so much of herself into her family and welcomed the boys from the very first day they met. I also miss my grandfathers today. I am so blessed to have grown up with my extended family close by. Happy Father's Day to Dad Dunham, Grandpa Wharram, and Grandpa Swaar. We miss you all.
It says I love you thiiiiiiisssssss much!


No comments:

Post a Comment