Sunday, December 13, 2009

We're here!

We flew out today on LOT Polish Air, and despite rumors that the airline was horrible (1.1 out 5 stars) the only difference we saw between LOT and British was the lack of video entertainment. I slept just as well (or not so well) this time as last time. They held our flight in Warsaw after our initial flight was delayed, so we went smoothly from one flight directly to the other.

We just barely got all of the luggage into the van we and another family were picked up in, but I'm sure the orphanage will be thrilled with the large suitcase filled with toothbrushes, onesies, socks, surgical gloves, gauze pads, toys, and ointments that my students collected with the help of my room mother, Mrs. Clark. It was so touching to have the students bring me a pair of socks or some baby t-shirts and say, "Mrs. Dunham, do you think the kids there will like these?" I printed a note and translated it to Bulgarian so the orphanage will know that the students collected the supplies, and I added a photo of my class with the open suitcase to the bottom of the note. I hope they are touched by the students' generosity. I know I was.

We are in a different apartment than on the last visit, but it has much the same "feel." Two bedrooms, a small kitchen, bath with a jetted tub, dining room and living room. Inside it is great, but outside it is covered with graffiti and looks like you are heading into a crack house at the entrance. We are closer to the downtown historic district. We wanted to be prepared for the week, so we walked about 5 blocks onto the main street, Vitosha, and found a small grocery store. For any old Mason City people, it reminded me of the old Cackley's grocery store. We bought bread, milk, water, eggs, and the makings for chicken and noodles, spaghetti, and potato soup. We already boiled the chicken tonight so it won't take long to make lunch tomorrow. We were told that orphanage kids don't usually understand the idea of "preparation time" because food always magically appears at lunch and dinner time for them, so we don't want to frustrate Grace with being hungry right away. We will work on  patience once she gets home.

We just packed up everything we are taking with us to the orphanage tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. when we pick her up...Finally we decided on an outfit. Girl's clothes are already a challenge for us. We also have photo ornament gifts, framed photos of some of the orphanage workers with Grace from our first visit, and snacks and toys for her because we don't know if we will be going to get passport photos tomorrow, too. We did get a loaner phone, so we can call in Bulgaria.

Well, Mark has been fighting eye irritation from his sinuses, and I am exhausted. Time for bed. More after the big "Gotcha" day tomorrow.

The letter to the orphanage director that tells about the donations from my class.
The street outside our front door.
The entrance to our apartment.
Our dining room/living room.

1 comment:

  1. Gail... You may be in the apartment I was in... is there a coffee shop and sub shop on the street. If so... the coffee place makes THE BEST Cafe Mocha!! :) Thinking of you guys! I am sure the aunties will love their gifts and the donations from your class. I am working on getting my friends to donate diapers and other items as well.

    ReplyDelete