Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What a Difference a Couple of Years Make

We just got back from vacationing and Grace's favorite things to do were ride her bike (still with training wheels), do two flips under the water in the pool, pretend she is the teacher and correct her 2 unruly students (Mom and Dad), and do "homework" on her computer. Obviously, she has spent a year in school modeling her teacher and watches Mommy finishing up her extra 32 hours past her master's degree to move up on our local teacher's pay scale. She makes connections and evaluates everything. Here is my latest cute story:

We went to Mark Twain Cave for a visit and Grace wanted to be first in line. She tends to process through her speech, which is a nice way to say that she talks incessantly, so I told her she would need to be very quiet so she could hear our tour guide. She turned and shook her head and gave me a you-don't-know-what-you-are-talking-about look that I am certain I will see more often when she is 13. She kept on walking and yelled back at us to hurry up, so I gave her the same reminder. She turned around, put her hands on her hips, and cocked her head indignantly before saying, "Mommy, we don't have a tour guide, we have a tour girl!"

I love these little glimpses into her language development that remind me just how complex the English language can be to master...

1 comment: