Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Trouble at Preschool



Grace's experiences at Little People's Prep School, her first group experiences outside of the orphanage, definitely have been eventful. Grace is on the red light for behavior nearly every day, and I am growing apprehensive each day when I pick her up. Usually, I get a report about her deeds. Here are just a few:

Grace likes hitting and pushing. She will even go up to other children without provocation and push them down. We have seen this first hand. I think it is her way of initiating a game of tag, but it is much rougher than most of the other children are used to. She is often in time out and gets numerous warnings during nap time. One day, they told me that she got 7 warnings during nap time because she refused to lay still and rest. I asked about giving her some books or a small toy to play with, but the teachers said that wouldn't be fair to the other children. I really don't care what they think is fair, but they wouldn't budge on this. So, I guess that they will continue to struggle with her during that 2 hour nap time!

Grace talks to herself and others all the time, at home and at pre-school, so she often gets in trouble for this, too. She has wet her pants a couple of times because she didn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom, she pulled her pants down once in front of some other children, and she took a pair of scissors and started to cut off a girl's very long blonde hair. She has a friend that she likes to play with, Kaylie, but I think they get in trouble together. Despite all of this, Grace loves school, Ms. Teresa, and being around all of the other kids.

She has a lot to learn and unlearn after the rough play and orphanage experiences, but I hope we make progress with this before she starts kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment