Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Calendar

Everything that has already happened is "yesterday" for Grace, whether it happened 5 minutes or 3 months ago, so I used an Excel template to make a calendar for her of May and June. Hopefully as she starts summer pre-K, it will also help her to know when she goes to school and when she stays home. I added pictures for Lifebuilders, school, church, swimming lessons, doctor appointments, etc. Grace had so much fun looking at it because it was her calendar, "not Mommy and Daddy's." She put her first X (which is actually more of a T) on the calendar today right before she went to bed.

She is so excited about going to school "to play with the kids." I hope that she doesn't get frustrated when they want her to color, sing songs, etc. She really doesn't care about anything except playing with the kids. We read a book before bed the last two days about a little bear who was going to his first day of school. As we were talking about Gracie going to school, she looked at me very seriously, scrunched up her nose and asked, "My teacher no a bird?" I had never considered how literally she would take the book. Yes, the teacher in the book is a bird. I'm so glad that we are giving her a short experience with school now, so that the fall transition will be a little bit easier.

I have been worrying about sending her to school, and I'm sure she can tell it regardless of how hard I try to make school sound fun and matter of fact. I was wondering if she could climb onto the toilets in the Intermediate School bathrooms. Will the teachers be understanding if she is worried about where I am? Will she think I am leaving her at the orphanage? Will this separation confuse her as she is learning to trust us?

So, to ease my fears I took Grace to school today. We looked into her classroom and mine, and I showed her where I would be working in the computer lab while she was with Mrs. Born and the other teachers. She seemed fine, of course, but will Mom be okay? I've don't like it any better this time than I did with the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment