Monday, May 24, 2010

Ink Pen and a Tantrum

I think that vacation was stressful to Grace, because she had a hard time transitioning back to home. Today she threw a fit because she wanted to write with a pen and I told her, "No!" She ignored me and I put her in one of the kitchen chairs for "Sedni." She didn't like that and started yelling, "No sedni. I want to write, I want to write, I want to write!" Then she got out of the chair and went to get the pen that I had taken away from her. I put her back in the chair, she raised her arm up to hit me, but reconsidered, and then got back out of the chair.  I know we have been told not to isolate adopted children because they are afraid of being alone, but I picked her up and put her in her bed anyway. I told her that if she wouldn't be quiet and sit in the chair that she would have to sedni on the bed.

Well, after 10 minutes of screaming, "No sedni. Gracie the boss! Gracie the boss! No sedni! No sedni! Mommy no make me sedni!" Her kicking, flopping, and screaming stopped, I went into the room and picked her up, and she gave me a hug. "Gracie a good girl!" she said. I agreed and told her that Mommy was the boss and Gracie had to do what Mommy said. Gracie looked at me and said, "Gracie do what Mommy say. No sedni on the bed." And that was exactly the lesson she needed to learn.

My guess...This was the first, but probably not the last tantrum she'll throw.

No comments:

Post a Comment