Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I'm 49!

I can't really explain why, but I've never really liked celebrating birthdays--not just my own, but any birthdays. I can remember dreading birthdays as far back as age 16. Okay, so I don't like change too much. The boys will tell you that they had only a few birthday parties that included more than extended family during their lives because that was what I was used to from my childhood and somehow a houseful of kids, decorations, treat bags, and games just didn't seem like an enjoyable way for anyone to spend an afternoon. Especially since I am around crowds of children all day long as a teacher. So, it was humerous this year that the boys gave me my favorite flowers, lilies, and Adam gave me trendy clothes the day before my birthday "just because he wanted to." Not for my birthday or anything.

Mark and Grace, however, marked the day with dinner out and a Precious Moments figurine called Mommy and Me. It features a little girl holding a drawing of herself holding hands with her mommy. It was darling, but not as memorable even as the card from Grace. Mark had Grace record her voice yelling, "I love you, Mommy. As te obichem" into the card, so that when I opened it I heard her sweet voice. I loved it, but Grace was so excited about it that she opened it for me and played it again and again. I'll never forget the expression on her face as she jumped around with excitement. Grace so often reminds me how wonderful and amazing life is and how thankful we should be for the little things that God gives us every day, even birthdays...

No comments:

Post a Comment