Friday, November 20, 2009

Too Many Tears

Nearly every significant event in my life has been marked by tears, and today they bubbled over several times. For anyone who knows me well, you understand that tears punctuate nearly every part of my life...I cry at weddings, funerals, graduations, departures to college, the day the boys drove away in the car for the first time, the first time they slept in "big" beds, the first time they slept through the night...Sometimes, I even cry in anticipation of events as I work through what is to come. Oddly, I cried through Adam's junior year in high school as I realized that I would be marking Adam's last year of high school the next year. Working through my feelings of what was to come helped me to stay composed when it was actually my turn to be the proud parent of a senior. I'm hoping today's tears will help me to remain composed when we pick up Grace at the orphanage.

Today I have been overwhelmed with the significance of December 14 in Grace's life. When she walks out of the orphanage with us, she will lose everything she has ever known and understood. She will lose her routines, her sense of security, the comfort of her own bed, her language, her name, and the people who have loved and cared for her. She will lose all that is familiar and will probably not even fathom the significance of the day. How could she? But someday, just as I feel after being on vacation, she will long for the comfort of routine. She may feel the way I do when we drive into the garage and are finally home from a long trip. Grace, however, will never get to go back "home" again. She is losing so much.

I'm thankful that Grace has the blessing of being naive. She doesn't know that she should have already been moved across the street to the orphanage for 4-7 year olds. She doesn't realize how long "forever" may be. She doesn't understand that the "aunties" have families of their own. Perhaps she has a vague notion that others belong in a way she does not, but probably her experiences keep her from truly having a reference point. Imagine trying to explain marriage if you had never seen that relationship. "Family" has to be just as foreign and elusive a concept for her. You see, until we walk away on December 14, she won't have ever experienced an alternative to the comforting predictability of the orphanage. You can't miss what you don't know exists. But after she joins our family, she will clearly miss all that she has left behind. Her security, language, cultural expectations, her bed, the favorite aunties, the foods that she especially loves, the social order, the little tricycle, Emanwewe, her bucket and shovel, her place at the table, the comfort of having every decision made for her...she will lose everything. 

I know that family is a wonderful, often unappreciated gift. But if I were in her place, I think I would be wondering when they were going to take me back. My heart breaks for her. In all of our joy, as we gain our hearts desire, I don't want to forget that she is losing so much. She does not need for me to be a blubbery mess, so I hope I am just getting these tears out of the way...

3 comments:

  1. Gail, I hope you don't mind my post or my suggestion because I have felt the same way about removing my little girl from her "home" and the love that all of her nurses and doctors have for her. I gave her a "family" photo book when I was there visiting and it had several blank pages... ones that I filled with photos that were taken while I was there with her... each day I went and developed 10-15 photos during lunch and returned with them in the afternoon. During the visits I allowed her to use my small digital camera to take pictures of all her caregivers and doctors that love her. I also added these pictures to her "family" book... maybe when you pick her up... you can have each of her caregivers hold her while you take photos of them with her. So that you can look back and talk to her about how much she was loved and taken care of... of how all of these people said prayers for her mommy and daddy to find her. Maybe you can let these "aunties" be part of her life and her history.

    I even asked my translator to ask the women if she would ask them to write a short note to my little girl (if they wanted to) and if she would translate them for me, so that later I could read them to her on her "Adoption" Day.

    Just a thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We added photos to her family book during our visit, too, and we have pictures of her with the assistant director (who is also her doctor) but none of the "aunties." We are really hoping that we can get these photos for her on this trip. It was so obvious that she has been loved. It would be wonderful if the "aunties" would write something for her. Thank you for the suggestion.

    We are also hoping that they have some other pictures of her from the past 4 years. It would be such a blessing for her to have some baby pictures. Kay said that if they have some, they will most likely have them all organized and ready to send with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be wonderful!! When I was at the orphanage I asked if they had pictures, they looked a bit started like I wanted them at that moment... then I explained that I would like to have them for Elina when I pick her up. They seemed very happy that I wanted them... I am hoping for just a few... if it happens to be many it would be awesome. I am just hoping that it is not just this big gap in her lifebook, whereas there are lots of pictures of my son.

    BTW, I sent the cell phone this morning and it should be to you by Wednesday or Thursday, they said at the latest Friday. Thanks so much for taking it back with you. It is only an in-country phone, but at least if you needed help you can call Petko or Rosi.

    Did you decide to stay in a hotel or in an apartment for this trip... I am debating which would be better.

    ReplyDelete