Monday, June 22, 2009

Searching for Information

I love investigating. Since I can't really DO anything except wait, I search. So far I have found a nonprofit organization that works with several orphanages in Bulgaria. Of course, I also found a listing of orphanages and their addresses and Ivan Rilski must be as common as Abraham Lincoln. At least three different orphanages are named Ivan Rilski. So of course, I tried to find the addresses on Live Search so I could see if any of them had a park nearby that looked like the one in our video, with no success. I also have found several Sofia Webcams, read through every travelogue I can find, checked out the hotels, mapped the gold brick scenic route through Sofia, downloaded a currency converter, checked out the Lonely Planet Bulgaria book from the library and downloaded three different language programs. We also ordered the Bulgarian Phrases CD that is made just for adoptive parents. Now, I walk around trying to have conversations with myself using the 25 phrases that I can speak in Bulgarian. I'll be fine as long as Gracie knows the exact same 25 phrases.

We also watch the video of Gracie together everyday. Usually Mark pulls it up right before he goes to bed and I sit on his knee to watch with him. We laugh at the same parts every time and have several phrases that she says memorized. (Too bad we have no idea what she is saying most of the time.) In one part she points to the slide and says something that sounds like "I love it!" We really have actually translated "Come here, dog" and "She's not afraid." Obviously our hope to communicate throught those 25 phrases is doubtful. Next on my learning list are the numbers through 20 and the colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment